Referee Training is coordinated through Alberta Soccer with courses hosted throughout the Province.
For details on upcoming courses and additional information on the Referee Pathways, please visit the Referee page on the Alberta Soccer website.
Entry Level Course
Minimum age: 14 Years Old
An introductory course for those who would like to referee U10+ or act as a assistant referee (linesman) at any level.
The cost per student for the course will be determined by the Alberta Soccer Association.
The course is made up of a combination of online self-directed modules, an instructor-led webinar session, an online exam and an on-field practical session.
The course covers:
- Referee and Assistant Referee duties and responsibilities.
- The FIFA Laws of the Game (11v11 Soccer)
- On field practical training
Students are supplied with:
- FIFA Law Book
- Referee badge and whistle
- Yellow and red cards, referee wallet
After successfully completing the course, referees are classified as follows:
- Youth Referee (14-15 years old)
- District Referee (16 Years and older
The course fee includes the first year's registration fee for the referees.
- Go to www.refcentre.com/alberta
- Enter in the start dates of the course in 'search by date' calendar. Enter the calendar start date as today's date, rather than the practical session dates, in order to bring up all the current available courses. (Please note: if you were a mini referee, you will have to set up a new Ref Centre account using a different email address rather than being able to continue with your mini ref account.)
- Click the ‘register’ link for the course you wish to attend and follow the registration process.
- Sign the online waiver.
- Pay the registration fee online.
- Once you have completed those steps you will be able to access and begin the online modules right away. Ref Centre will track your progress as you work through the stages of the course and will prompt you about what you have to do when it comes to webinar/exam, etc.
Upcoming Entry Level Courses
|Course ||Class Date ||Class Location ||On Field Date ||On Field Location |
|Entry Level ||Fri, Sep 16 ||CMSA Office ||Sat, Sep 24 ||Calgary Soccer Centre - Alpha Field |
|Entry Level ||Fri, Sep 23 ||CMSA Office ||Sun, Oct 2 ||Calgary Soccer Centre - West Field |
|Entry Level ||Wed, Oct 5 ||CMSA Office ||Sat, Oct 15 ||Calgary Soccer Centre - West Field |
|Entry Level ||Wed, Oct 12 ||CMSA Office ||Sun, Oct 23 ||Calgary Soccer Centre - West Field |
Courses are generally offered prior to the beginning of the Outdoor and Indoor seasons (March-April and September-October).
Check availability in other Alberta jurisdictions here.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about entry level referee courses in Calgary.