Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How old do I have to be to play in the Calgary Women's Soccer League?

A: Players must be 16 years old and older at the time of play in order to be eligible to register and participate with CWSA. The CWSA also offers programs for players over 30 and players over 40.

Q: What levels of soccer does the CWSA offer?

A: The Calgary Women's Soccer Association is proud to provide a wide variety of soccer participation for the brand new non-competitive player all the way to the very competitive, highly experienced veteran. We have a place for players of ALL skill levels and experience.

Q: I am a new player, how can I find a team?

A: If you visit the homepage for our website, there is a page called the "Player Network" in the menu. The player network helps assist players who are looking for a team and teams who are looking to add players. If you are looking for a team, please send an email to the CWSA office with your name, experience level, your contact info and details of who you are and what you are looking for.

Q: New Player from Out of Town?

A: If you are a new player from out of town and played soccer with another district/association besides CWSA, you will need to sign a player release form stating you are in good standing from the previous association/district. Once completed, please email the applicable release form(s) to CWSA. These forms must be complete before registering with any Women's team. Please find the applicable forms by clicking here. If you have any questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact us.

Q: How can I register for a team?

If you have a team to register with and:

A (1): Never played in the Calgary Women's Soccer league before…. New players MUST come to the office with a piece of government issued ID (driver's license, passport, etc.) and $10 (cash/debit/credit card) to get a CWSA ID Card. Registration can be completed in person or by an online registration link that would have been emailed to you directly by your team coach/manager. 

A (2): Are a returning player to the Calgary Women's Soccer league…. If you are returning to our league (same or different team), you can register through the registration link the team would email you, OR you can come to the office and fill out a registration form. If you need a new player card, please come to the office and have your card re-printed ($10 fee).


Q: Where are the games played?

A: Games are primarily played in the Calgary area. However, we do have some teams that are from towns around Calgary (Airdrie, Chestermere, Cochrane, Okotoks) that have their home games scheduled there.  

  • Outdoor
    • Games are played in the City of Calgary Athletic Parks and other surrounding fields. For a full list of outdoor fields and their locations, please click here
  • Indoor Boarded
    • Calgary Soccer Centre (7000 48th St SE)
    • Genesis Centre (7555 Falconridge Blvd NE)
  • Indoor Boardless
    • Macron Performance Centre (111 Exploration Ave SE)
    • Calgary West Soccer Centre (11014 Bearspaw Dam Rd NW)

Q: How long does the season typically run for?

A: The CWSA offers two seasons year round

  • Outdoor
    • Provincial Divisions - May to August
    • Non-Provincial Divisions - May to September
  • Indoor
    • Boarded - October to March
    • Boardless - December to April

Q: What is the last day a player can register?

A: The CWSA office accepts registration all season long.

Q: How do I change teams?

A: Players who are currently registered with a team and wish to transfer to another team during the season must complete a player transfer/removal form (can be downloaded from our website under General League Info --> Documents & Forms), signed by the Coach/Managers of both your current team and the team you wish to transfer to. Submit your transfer form along with payment to the office or email your COMPLETED form and call us with your credit card number. The fee for this service is $20.

Q: What is the last day I can transfer teams?

A: The last date a player can transfer in the Outdoor season is July 31. The last date a player can transfer in the Indoor season is January 31. If this day happens to land on a non-business day, players will be responsible to have this done on or before the last business day prior to the 31st. Please check the website for the specific date. These deadlines are imposed by the ASA.

Q: What are your Office hours?

A: For our current office hours please visit our CWSA General Information page.

Q: How can I make payment

A: The CWSA accepts online payments, cash and cheque payments as well as credit and debit cards for all fees, fines, etc.

Q: Minor Play Up Forms

A: When utilizing a Youth Player, a Minor Restricted Movement Form must be presented to the referee prior to the start of the game with the game sheet and with the player's ID card. The play-up form must be signed by the registered coach, manager, parent or guardian of the player playing up. Any other signature will not be accepted.

Q: How many players can a team have on a roster and/or game sheet?

A (1): Teams are allowed to register a maximum of twenty-five (25) players at one time to their roster.

A (2): Teams are allowed to have 20 players appear on a game sheet.


Q: How many guest players can a team have?

A: Teams may have up to four guest players. No more than two of these players may be called up from Calgary Minor Soccer Association (CMSA) teams with a minimum age of 16 years old. Please see the CWSA Rules and Regulations for specific guest player eligibility based on your division.

Q: How do I remove a player from a game sheet?

A: A player is deemed to have played if their NAME appears on a game sheet. If you wish to remove a player from a game sheet you must COMPLETELY strike a clear and definitive line through the entire player's name and player's number. Any other method of indication WILL NOT be accepted.

Q: What are the things to remember if I am serving a suspension?

A: If you are a player serving a suspension there are two things that you must remember:

(1) Your name must be on the game sheet with CLEAR indication that you are serving your suspension time. For example, you could write "SERVING SUSPENSION" or "SITTING OUT" beside the suspended player's/coach's name. Not doing so could result in a further discipline, fine and or forfeiture of the game.
(2) As a suspended player and/or coach, you are not permitted to participate in the game in ANY way. This includes helping coach or running sidelines for your team. Doing so could result in a further discipline or fine.

Q: What do I do with game sheets after the game?

A: A designated team official shall be responsible for entering the scores into the admin system.

Outdoor… Referees are responsible for leaving the original game sheets at the appropriate drop boxes. The CWSA office will detail the game sheets based on the original.

Indoor… During the indoor season, referees are responsible for leaving game sheets at the appropriate drop boxes.

Q: What happens if the referee does not show up for a game?

A: If the referee does not show up within ten minutes of the game time for the outdoor and five minutes for the indoor, a coach or designate must referee the game. The game time shall be adjusted to reflect the delay in the start of the game.

Q: What are the requirements around supplying an Assistant Referee for our game?

A: All Divisions other than Over 40 have Assistant Referees assigned for their games. Over 40 have the option prior to the start of the season to have an Assistant Referee assigned for their games (at an additional cost). Otherwise, every Over 40 team must supply one individual aged 16 or older to run lines for the game. 

Q: What happens if I get a red card in another league (i.e. COED)?

A: If you receive a suspension in another league, such as the CUSA COED league, you are still eligible to play in CWSA unless the suspension has been escalated to the Alberta Soccer Association.

Q: What is the Field Closure Line?

A: The City of Calgary Parks and Recreation Services have provided a Field Closure Phone Line in attempts to keep players updated on the status of a field. By calling 403-268-2300 and then press 2, then press 1, players can automatically be updated on the current playability of a field. The status of the City of Calgary Athletic Parks can also be found on their Field Status webpage. Other Field Closure Information can be found on our homepage under FIELD CLOSURE INFORMATION. Please keep in mind that fields can be closed for a variety of reasons ranging from disagreeable weather to construction, so please be sure to check the status of the field you are playing on before each game.

RAMP Registration

Join thousands of association partners using RAMP Registration Solutions.

More Information

RAMP Official Assigning

#1 with Officials...for very good reasons.

More Information

RAMP Websites

Manage your identity from the palm of your hand to the top of your desk.

More Information

RAMP Team App

Keep your coaches, parents, athletes, and fans connected, seamlessly.

More Information